Straight From Universal Music: THE PIERCES TO OPEN FOR COLDPLAY
The March 27th U.S. release of YOU & I on Mercury Records, the new album by The Pierces, produced by the Darktones, aka Grammy Award®-winners Guy Berryman (Coldplay bassist) and Rik Simpson (Coldplay producer) builds on the Coldplay connection as the Pierces are chosen to open Coldplay’s West Coast North American tour leg, beginning April 17th at Rexall Place in Edmonton, Alberta. The 7-city, 18-day tour, including two-night stands in Vancouver and San Jose, wraps up with a triple-night stand at the Hollywood Bowl, May 1st, 2nd and 4th. (Please see complete itinerary below.)
In the wake of their successful showcase dates last month in support of YOU & I at the Mercury Lounge in New York City and the Hotel Café in Los Angeles, The Pierces have been added to the schedule for the 2012 SXSW (South By Southwest) Music Conference in Austin, Texas (March 14-18th), details to be announced in the weeks ahead. The Pierces have also set television appearances for March 27th (album release day) on NBC’s The Tonight Show with Jay Leno; and two days later on Fox-5’s Good Day New York. That same night in New York, the Pierces will perform a special show at Bowery Ballroom, and are also set to headline the Troubadour in LA on April 5th.
The first advance single from YOU & I is “You’ll Be Mine,” which had the distinction of besting Adele in the UK as the Most-Played song in the first quarter of 2011 at BBC Radio 2. YOU & I, released May 2011 in the UK, entered the national chart at #4 and was certified gold. Three subsequent singles, “Glorious,” “Kissing You Goodbye,” and “It Will Not Be Forgotten” all received Top 10 airplay and were A-listed on national BBC Radio.
The irresistible vocal harmonies of The Pierces – Alabama-bred, New York-based sisters Allison and Catherine – were indelibly etched in the tv public’s imagination back in 2008, when “Secret” (“two can keep a secret/ if one of them is dead,” a song from their third album, Thirteen Tales of Love and Revenge) was heard on the CW’s Gossip Girl. “Secret” was also heard in promos for Dexter, and in European tv promos as well. In 2010, “Secret” was heard as the theme song for the series Pretty Little Liars (ABC Family). “Drag You Down” (from YOU & I) has been featured in promos for ABC’s newest hit, Revenge.
In the UK, the Guardian hailed the Pierces as “heart stopping and extraordinary”; Q magazine called them “a life affirming delight”; and the Times praised their “honeyed harmonies and huge pop hooks.” Nurturing their UK support, The Pierces played their first tour of small venues there in the summer of 2011. The tour segued into festival dates through the summer including a slot at the legendary Glastonbury Festival in June; Magic Summer Live with Elton John, two V Festival appearances, and a date at the iTunes Festival in July, with Coldplay headlining. The Pierces returned for a full-scale 12-city headlining tour in October, which included a sold out show at London’s classic venue, the Shepherd’s Bush Empire.
Latest posts by Staff (see all)
- Angry Birds Launches From IDW - March 7, 2014
- MPI/Dark Sky Films To Release The Restored Version of THE TEXAS CHAIN SAW MASSACRE - March 6, 2014
- Ronnie James Dio Tribute Album “This Is Your Life” Due April 1 from Rhino - March 6, 2014
- The Nearly Deads SURVIVAL TOUR To Commence (March 8-28) Headlining Slot at LIAN Riot Music Series In Milwaukee On March 8 Direct Support For HALESTORM In Nashville On March 28 Substream Magazine Instagram “Takeover” On March 4 Nashville, TN: Alternative rock outfit The Nearly Deads have announced dates for ‘The Survival Tour,” running March 8 – 21. Kicking off in Milwaukee, with a co-headlining slot at the inaugural LIAN Riot Music Series, the band then synchs up with Providence, RI rockers It Lives, It Breathes, from March 9 – 21, as they storm Chicago, Allentown, Baltimore, Springfield, Harrisonburg and other cities along the East coast. The band then returns home to Nashville to open for Halestorm at Cannery Ballroom on March 28. Before hitting the road, the band will “Takeover” the Substream Magazine Instagram account on Tuesday March 4 to reveal some exclusive behind-the-scenes footage and pictures as they prepare for Survival. Originally formed in Tampa, Florida, before relocating to the music mecca of Nashville three years ago, The Nearly Deads emit polished grit. Led by the gripping vocal embrace of Ms Theresa Jeane, her classical training is evident in the power and range of her voice, while her pop and punk influences shine through in her lyrics and captivating melodies. Matching her emotional countenance with a potent combination of agility and sensibility, guitarists Steven Tobi and Javier Garza Jr, along with bassist Kevin Koelsch, layer her fertility with a sturdy cloak of conductivity. Imagine Kelly Clarkson flicking the wick of My Chemical Romance. Imagine Shirley Manson holding Foo Fighters ransom. Imagine dragons, smashing pumpkins. Let your imagination soak in the burgeoning realization of new found glory. On Survival Guide, the band’s most-recent six-song Ep, producer Jon King (Augustana, 3 Pill Morning, Darling Parade) helped guide the band to fully unleash their immersive cohesion. Ingesting the elegant dynamics of “Fact and Friction, ” the fragile invincibility of “Changeover,” the raw rancor of “Reasons,” and the intoxicating empowerment of “Brave,” one quickly realizes that The Nearly Deads are modern masters of the ascension of tension, coloring their palette with elastic splashes. With a deft adeptness of effervescence, their songs elicit bristle with an infectious sizzle. Evidence of this lightning-in-a-bottle phenomena coalesce in the band’s watershed anthem, “Never Look Back”. Armed with a Zombie-infused music video, that skyrocketed past 6 million views, NLB finds TND scratching the surface of a sound, and a movement, that is dotting the eyes on the horizon. It’s this majesty of chemistry that fuels their consummate combustion of exposition. Touring the U.S. extensively for years, the band has shared bills with the likes of Halestorm, All-American Rejects, Tonight Alive, Warner Drive, Man Overboard, Sick of Sarah, Cherri Bomb, Captain Capa and Darling Parade and have cratered stages at Summerfest, Vans Warped Tour and Journey’s Backyard BBQ. From record to stage to the written page, The Nearly Deads continue to amass wide-spread critical acclaim throughout the industry. Crowned victors in the John Lennon Songwriting Contest and a Converse Battle of the Bands competition, the band has received significant airplay on MTVu, FUSE, BlankTV, Vevo and YouTube, achieved glowing features in Alt Press, ARTISTdirect, Outburn and Substream Magazine and rose to #14 on the Billboard Next Big Sound Chart. It all foretells an apocalypse of pomp and circumstance. History beware, a zombie nation is erecting the foundation of elucidation to composite global manifestation. The Nearly Deads are hitting their stride. Get ready for the thrill ride of your life. - March 5, 2014
- Marvel Comics & Wizard World Reveal ‘Wolverine #1′ Exclusive Variant Cover By Greg Horn For Sacramento Comic Con - March 5, 2014