‘All Is by My Side’ Features No Jimi Hendrix Songs
Well, All Is by My Side, the new film about legendary artist Jimi Hendrix features no music by its subject.
“This is the story of Jimi being discovered as a backup artist and how he went to London and became Jimi Hendrix,” said producer Sean McKittrick. “That would be like making a movie about Kurt Cobain. We all know how that ended.”
The copyright on Hendrix’s estate only allows his songs unless by given permission, and this movie didn’t receive that. Setting the movie at the time before Jimi Hendrix “was” Jimi Hendrix created a loophole for the filmmakers.
Andre Benjamin, a.k.a. Andre 3000 from Outkast, portrays Hendrix.
“Andre has been Jimi for four months now,” McKittrick said. “He speaks and walks like Jimi. He dropped a ton of weight. The transformation has been amazing.”
The soundtrack from the film will include Benjamin singing the classics “Hound Dog,” “Bleeding Heart,” “Mannish Boy,” “Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band,” “Driving South,” “Wild Thing” and “Future Trip.”
All Is by My Side will show Hendrix from 1966 to 1967, reaching for fame just up to the point that he releases Are You Experienced and he goes viral across the world.
Directed by John Ridley, All Is by My Side wraps this week, and the film is expected for a 2013 release. The film also stars Haley Atwell as Linda Keith and Burn Goodman as Michael Jeffery.
This article was originally published on AllMediaNY.com
Molly C. Braswell
Latest posts by Molly C. Braswell (see all)
- ‘Real Housewives of Beverly Hills’ Adds Cast Members, Gets Premiere Date - September 28, 2012
- Playing a Mean Character on ‘Glee’ was ‘Difficult’ for Kate Hudson - September 16, 2012
- Leonardo DiCaprio May Go Nude in ‘Wolf on Wall Street’ - September 6, 2012
- Lady Gaga Records New Album While Naked in Studio - August 30, 2012
- ‘Real Housewives of New York City’ Recap: Pirate Booty Call - August 29, 2012