Baba Brinkman’s The Canterbury Tales Remixed Featuring music and turn-tablism by Mr. Simmonds Directed by Darren Lee Cole To premiere at SoHo Playhouse Beginning November 23; Opening December 4
New York: After a hugely successful run of The Rap Guide to Evolution, SoHo Playhouse, Inc. is very proud to premiere The Canterbury Tales Remixed, written and performed by Baba Brinkman with music and turntablism by Mr. Simmonds and directed by SoHo Playhouse Artistic Director, Darren Lee Cole. The Canterbury Tales Remixedwill begin previews on Wednesday, November 23 and will open on Sunday, December 4, running through January 8, 2012 at the SoHo Playhouse (15 Vandam Street). Tickets are $55-$19.50, to purchase visit www.SoHoPlayhouse.com or call OvationTix customer service toll-free: 866-811-4111.
Geoffrey Chaucer’s timeless Canterbury Tales comes to vivid life in an “entertaining and brilliant” (Time Out) virtuoso performance linking today’s hip-hop lyrics with the greatest stories ever told. Framed by gripping re-imaginings of the epic poems Gilgamesh and Beowulf, Canadian hip-hop artist Baba Brinkman forges a new masterpiece out of the rawest material etched onto vinyl, or carved into clay tablets. Just like the most heart-wrenching songs by Eminem or Kanye West, these ancient Tales are infused with lust, betrayal, infidelity, greed, jealousy, ambition, and the endless struggles between men and women seeking happiness. Baba Brinkman brings you a rich theatrical experience filled with laugh-out-loud hilarity and riveting storytelling, tracing a thread from Chaucer’s venal Merchant and sensuous Wife of Bath to the muscular heroes of ancient lore, so similar to today’s hip hop stars in their perpetual quest for glory. The Canterbury Tales Remixed is a truly modern telling of classic tales that will amaze young and old alike.
Latest posts by Staff (see all)
- VALIANT Unleashes #VALIANTCRAFT Month This August - July 25, 2014
- Open Call for Entries for Screenwriting Competition with Over $60,000 in Cash and Prizes - July 22, 2014
- “BANG BANG” WORLD PREMIERE JULY 29 - July 21, 2014
- terraNOVA Collective Now Accepting Submissions for their 2014 – 2015 Groudbreakers Playwrights Group - July 20, 2014
- Marvel Comics & Wizard World Reveal ’100th Anniversary X-Men Special #1′ Exclusive Variant Cover By Jorge Molina For San Antonio Comic Con - July 18, 2014